HARLEY MARINE SERVICES
LOCATION: U.S. Gulf Coast
GENERAL JOB DESCRIPTION:
Responsible for the safe and efficient transfer of petroleum products between barges, ships,
and facilities including completion of bills of lading and gauge reports.
JOB RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES:
The job responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following:
Monitor product level in tanks, operate diesel engines, operate cargo pumps, operate tank/pipeline valves, and operate manual and hydraulic booms. Communicate with foreign crews and oil facility personnel. Adjust and secure barge lines. Complete loading and discharge gauge reports. Load 55-gallon drums. Inspect vessel for Coast Guard and state regulatory compliance.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Must have physical ability to maneuver cargo hoses, handle barge lines and board vessels
by use of an accommodation ladder, Jacob’s ladder or tugboat.
- Must possess good communication skills by voice and/or visual hand signals.
- Ability to do accurate paperwork. Knowledge of basic arithmetic skills (add, subtract, multiply, and divide).
- Knowledge of Coast Guard and state requirements for transfer operations.
- Knowledge of company safety practices
-Must be able to read, speak, and understand English over telephone and/or radio.
SPECIALIZED SKILLS REQUIRED:
- Must be able to perform the functions set forth in the attached job analysis and possess the stamina to work long hours.
- Ability to think and respond quickly to emergency situations (oil spills, mechanical failures, etc.).
- Ability to be self-motivated.
- Ability to maintain professional relations with customers.
EQUIPMENT AND MACHINERY USED:
- Air purifying respirator, Self Contained Breathing Apparatus (SCBA), air monitoring equipment, hearing protection, VHF radio, hand tools, tow lines, high level alarms and thermometer.
- Operates diesel engines, cargo pumps, hydraulic booms, cargo gear, gate valves, and butterfly valves.
JOB CONDITIONS AND ENVIRONMENT:
- Must be able to work independently and without direct supervision.
- Exposure to all weather conditions (rain, ice, snow, heat, wind, heavy seas, etc.)
- Ability to adapt to a variety of schedules and hours
- Able to work weekends, holidays, and at night. Willing to take call outs.
- Must not be afraid of heights.
- Valid state driver’s license.
Previous experience as a tank barge operator on oil barges required.
EDUCATION / TRAINING:
- Must have a valid Coast Guard Merchant Mariners Document with Tankerman endorsement.
- Must have a valid first aid certificate.
- Must have CPR training.
- Complete HAZWOPER training within 90 days of hire.
- Participate in onboard drills with tug crews when job permits.
-Must have experience in multiple load calculations.
- Check oil and water in any equipment on board before putting in use.
- General barge maintenance and cleanliness.
- Hydrostatic testing of cargo hoses and piping.
- Change engine oil and filters.
- Splice barge lines and boom running gear.